- Control clutter. I'm working on this, really. I've pared way down on book-buying by using the library and CD buying by using iTunes. There is no downparing with yarn.
- Admit you can't do everything. Last year, I sang in four choirs. This year, only two...ok, three...but the third one is a short-term, six-week commitment. Yes, I could sing in every community choir in town, and they'd be happy to have me. And I'd lose my mind and my marriage. Two/three is simpler.
- Plan your meals. I really like the idea of only cooking once a month, but I'm not that good...yet.
- Have caller ID. Since we bundled our phone in with the cable, our caller ID shows up on the TV screen. No need to get up and answer the phone or see who's calling. This is a VERY small simplification since our TV is off about 98% of the time.
- Take time for yourself. Knit. Read. Do yoga. Meditate. Pray. I saw a plaque that said something to the effect that the time when we most need to slow down and relax is the time when we THINK we don't have time to.
- Disconnect from the phone/computer/crackberry. Don't be available 24/7.
- Have a spiritual practice. This kind of ties in with #5. I've just started revisiting The Artist's Way. Wonder where it will lead me?
- Don't overeat/overdrink/overspend/over...ANYTHING!
- You really don't need to read every magazine on earth. This was a hard lesson for me to learn. I used to be the Magazine Queen. No longer... There are three (not counting knitting magazines!) that I still read. If I want to look at any of the others, I'll grab a chair at the bookstore.
- Gain control of your chaotic hotspot. Mine is the basement. OMG...the basement...eek. Obviously I need to gain control. I may blog about this...as long as everyone forgives me for the "before" pictures.
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
10 Ways to Simplify Your Life
You are kidding, right? You're asking ME how to simplify my life? My life is utter chaos 24/7! Ok...let me think...